Monday, June 14, 2010

UK Preacher Jailed For Publicly Objecting to Homosexuality






The UK Flag

A Christian street preacher in northwest side of England, Dale McAlpine was thrown in a prison cell last month for publicly sharing his Christian beliefs and also objecting to homosexuality.


According to a Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) report published on the International Christian Concern (ICC) website: www.persecution.com Mcalpine, from Workington in Cumbria, was arrested following a conversation with a police officer in which he was alleged to have said that the Bible calls homosexual conduct a sin. The arrest incident was captured on a hidden camera.

The report also said that McAlpine was preaching publicly in the town on April 20, but that he insisted he never spoke about the subject of homosexuality during his public sermon stressing that he has taken the police to court.

"When I got up on my step ladder to preach, I never mentioned homosexual conduct. I mentioned a number of other sins like drunkenness, adultery and blasphemy, but I never once mentioned the sin of homosexuality while I was preaching," he said.

McAlpine Arrested and Held Overnight in a Cell

CBN said McAlpine was later arrested and held overnight in a cell at the Cumbria Police station and was charged with a crime adding that he was in complete shock to find himself locked up simply for sharing his beliefs.

McAlpine stated: "I was shocked that I was taken off the street. I didn't expect to be taken to a prison cell that day. I went out to preach the Gospel and I was shocked that I found myself in a cell and my freedom taken away from me. Yet I had a wonderful peace from the Lord and I had my Bible."

According to the CBN report an Information Technology (IT) consultant from McAlpine's church, Tom Jones, said he was also shocked to discover his friend had been locked up adding that he has known the street preacher for many years.

"I've known Dale for the last four years since he started attending our church and obviously I was aware that he did preach on the streets and he said nothing that wasn't Biblical, therefore I was very shocked," Jones said.

Crown Prosecution Service dropped the Case

CBN said that four days after McAlpine pleaded not guilty to the charge, the Crown Prosecution Service dropped the case due to insufficient evidence adding that the police was unable to comment on the case.

It said that the Chief Superintendent, Steve Johnson, in a written report said: "We would like to reassure the public that we respect, and are committed to upholding, the fundamental right to freedom of expression. We are just as committed to maintaining the peace and preventing people feeling alarmed or distressed by the actions of others in public places."

Simon Calvert Defense Speaks Out

The spokesman of the Christian Institute that’s helping McAlpine with his legal defense, Simon Calvert said the police must be held responsible for their actions.

"The Cumbria Police can't just walk away from this. They arrested and charged an innocent man for no other reason than that he peacefully expressed his Christian beliefs. So there's clearly a problem with the system and it has to be put right," Calvert said.

McAlpine along with the Christian Institute have considered his legal options to ensure that something like this won't happen again. But while many cases like this continue across the United Kingdom, Christians remain concerned that their ability to openly express their beliefs in the country remains under threat

No comments:

Post a Comment